Colorado Rockies 85-77
Arizona Diamondbacks 80-82
San Diego Padres 68-94
MechanicalMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2010 Standings Projection

Post by skbballer34 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:38 pm

the only thing wrong with ur standings MM is tht the SF GIANTS gonna win the NLWEST Smile
skbballer34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MechanicalMan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm

I originally planned to have the Giants winning the division, or at least the Wild Card, but then I looked over the rosters again. The Giants still don't have pitching depth or an offense. I like that they were able to keep Molina, but Aubrey Huff and Mark DeRosa were not the answer. It's just hard for me to see how they're going to win enough games to get into the playoffs. I was actually more generous to them than Baseball Prospectus (82 wins, 3rd place) or Vegas (83 wins).

But I'm always wrong about the NL West.
MechanicalMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Mech you should have the Rockies over the Giants, all they have are Lincecum and Cain along with no offense. Maybe even give the Rox the division...

Joe
Admin

View user profile http://stickyness.coolbb.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MechanicalMan on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:25 pm

But the Giants had nothing but Cain and Lincecum last year, and they still won 88 games. Their offense is definitely bad, but it should be slightly improved. I don't like them too much, but I don't really like any team in the division (that's why I have the Rockies only two games out in third place). I think the Rockies got a little lucky with their pitching last year. They got 155 starts from five pitchers (avg. 31). Everyone in the rotation had about as good of a year as they could be expected to have. And one of them (Jason Marquis) is no longer with the team. Huston Street also had the best year of his career. They do have some young arms that could keep improving, but I think the pitching is destined to take a step back this year. The Rockies were +89 runs last year, and I just can't imagine a repeat of that. I think they'll be closer to +38 this year.

If anyone likes to gamble on this crap, I recommend taking the Cardinals over (88) Wink and maybe the Pirates under -- but the line I saw on the Pirates has already moved from 71 to 69.5. I guess I wasn't the only person who thought that was too high.
MechanicalMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 pm

hmmm I just dont see Boston winning thier division, The pitching between the two clubs is even. The advantage ill be Yankees offense. I think Boston did not do anyrthing to upgrade its offense after losing Bay Cameron isnt not going to equal his production id do not see Boston winning more than 92 while the yankees win 100. Im really still debating who I lie out of NL I think its a world series rematch this year yankees/phillies even though the baseball purist in me would love to see yankees-dodgers
Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roach on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 pm

In the AL, I think the Yankees easily get to 95 wins, and win the East. Chicago's pitching staff is enough to get them in, I think they can get 88 wins and win the central. The Rangers finally break through with a healthy team this year, by netting 98 wins, and destroying the west.

In the NL, I think Phil has another 90+ win season, and wins a close race in the east again a very chippy Marlins team. The Cardinals are the best team in the central, but at times they take games off, and are very erratic in their hitting from the 5th hole up. The division is a toss up, but I'm taking the Brewers to win 88 games, with a maturing team and pitching staff. I'll take the young staff from the Giants to win 85 games for the division. The Dodgers are shedding payroll, and the Diamond backs aren't healthy. Colorado needs serious motivation to get on track.

Roach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MechanicalMan on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Roach wrote:The Rangers finally break through with a healthy team this year, by netting 98 wins, and destroying the west.

The division is a toss up, but I'm taking the Brewers to win 88 games, with a maturing team and pitching staff.
MechanicalMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roach on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 pm

when they were healthy with josh hamilton hitting in that line up toward the end of the year they were tough to beat. Keep in mind, going into the break they were health and projected to win 95 games before they were hit with the injury bug, and they were winning with a sub par performance from Josh Hamilton.

Roach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MechanicalMan on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm not sure that you can fairly call Hamilton's 2009 performance "sub par" when he has played in more than 90 games only once in his 3-year career. He already missed a little time this spring because of a minor injury. For all we know, the oft-injured 9009 Josh Hamilton will prove to be more typical than the fairytale 2008 Josh Hamilton. But I'm more skeptical about the Rangers' rotation. Rich Harden has made, I believe, seven trips to the DL in the past five seasons. In that time, he has made only 83 starts -- an average of 16.6 per season. And Harden will presumably be the opening day starter for Texas, which speaks to the weakness of that rotation (he was the #4 starter for the Cubs last year). I don't think that either Harden or Feldman is a legitimate ace, and the back of the rotation could be pretty weak -- especially if/when Harden goes down with an injury.

The Rangers were only 7th in the AL in runs scored last year, and I think the pitching overachieved. They certainly might win the weak AL West this year, but there is no way that they are winning 98 games.

Also, I'm not sure where you get it from that the Cardinals "take games off." They've averaged more than 91 wins over the past ten years, so imagine how successful they would be if they weren't always dogging it, huh? Rolling Eyes As for the Brewers, they have very possibly the worst pitching staff in the NL right now and will likely allow over 800 runs again. Best of luck to them chasing down .500, let alone the Cardinals.
MechanicalMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roach on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 pm

To be brutaly honest with you, I can go ahead and bash your picks like you did with mine, but only time will tell. 98 wins is very possible with a healthy team, oh and the addition of Vlad Guerrero. Vlad is aging, but he doesn't need to hit for power anymore. He'll be in the 5th hole, providing protection to Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, and Michael Young. Pitching wise, they didn't overachieve. Incase you hadn't notice, the last three years, they've steadily improved.

The Cardinals are the injury proned team imo with Albert's elbow always bothering him, their pitching is suspect due to injury with their ace Carpenter. The Brewers I think have matured enough to take the next step forward, and their pitching will improve with Gallardo improving. Hoffman is a good enough closer when the game matters. They have improving arms and talent, just saying what out, I could see them posting 90+ wins this year if they stay healthy with their maturity.

Roach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MechanicalMan on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 pm

So now Pujols is injury-prone? Really? Rolling Eyes He has been on the DL once in his career. He has averaged over 155 games per season. His elbow is "bothering him" so much that all he's done is have the best start to a career by any player in MLB history. I think I'll take my chances with him.

Obviously, Carpenter is a big injury concern. Lots of pitchers are, but maybe no one more than Harden. And when Harden stayed healthy for most of the season last year, his ERA was over 4 in the NL. Carpenter's was 2.24. What is going to happen when Harden moves to one of the most hitter-friendly parks in the AL? Even if he stays healthy, which he hasn't since 2004, I don't expect him to be one of the top pitchers in the AL.

Guerrero is 35 and played in only 100 games last year with an OPS under .800. I like Vlad, but come on, the guy is nearly finished. Look at how much his BB/K has dropped. He's not the same player anymore.

The Rangers' pitching has not "steadily improved." These are their RA totals from the last three years:

2007: 844 (12th in AL)
2008: 967 (14th in AL - last place by a 98 R margin)
2009: 740 (4th in AL - 227 R improvement in one year)

That is steady improvement?? Question

And the Brewers' pitching staff certainly hasn't been improving. In case you hadn't noticed, they've lost a couple ace pitchers in recent years and had the second-worst ERA in the NL last season (4.83 -- beating out only the lowly Nationals). No one who is claiming that the Brewers could win 90+ games with "improving arms" has any right to call the Cardinals' rotation "suspect." You can't honestly believe that the Brewers' rotation is better than the Cardinals'... or is even remotely close to it, for that matter. If Chris Carpenter's arm falls off tomorrow and ends his career, the Cardinals will still easily have a better rotation than the Brewers.
MechanicalMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skbballer34 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 pm

lol ZITO will have a breakout year and help us win the division Smile
skbballer34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seattle winning the West?

Post by OdenIsMyGrandpa on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Okay, I'll buy that they might be contenders this year... but have you watched this team in the past 20 years? They'll find another way to underachieve and continue to scratch the underbelly of the Angels again. I'm a Northwest guy, grown up on TBS and the Braves, Otis Nixon, Ron Gant, Terry Pendleton and the boys, but I've also been force-fed the talent laden "home team" of underachievers. They look great on paper, but games aren't played on paper, they're played in television sets. I'll pull for the M's, just don't get your hopes up, based on history.

OdenIsMyGrandpa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top