Is the NBA turning into MLB?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is the NBA turning into MLB?

Post by Joe on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

NBA: Underperforming teams left in the dark?

Sigh.

Before I begin, let me make known my displeasure of Carmelo's departure. It's sad to see him go, but I give credit to the GM for getting a deal done, rather than let Melo leave for nothing this summer. I also like that the Nuggets didn't trade for a bunch of scrubs but a potential #1 guy and some good role players. I'm still not that happy, but I would be beyond mad if he left for nothing. Now the Nuggets have a pretty deep team, and their defense seems to be playing better, but I will reserve judgement when they play a team that's full strength.

Now on to the bigger question. Will this trading frenzy start a new trend in the NBA?

After one of the most active trading days in recent memory, it leaves me thinking. Will the NBA turn into the MLB? Will struggling teams be out of luck, unable to land elite free agents? Let me explain.

I'm sure everyone knows what's been going on in baseball. Great teams snagging elite players from struggling teams. Need I give examples? Halladay, Holliday, Tex, etc. Teams like the Yankees will always be willing to spend on marquee players, trying to "buy" a championship. One of the problems with that probably has to do with no salary cap, but we wont get into that. You get the principle. I'm worried this will start happening in the NBA. Is that good or bad? You decide.

Heres the big issue here: MLB teams are comprised of 25 active players, not including the total of 40 players they can have. NBA? Most teams have no more than 10 active players with a maximum of 15. Huge difference. A baseball team can handle a super star leaving, as it is more of a team sport, and one player doesn't often make a huge difference. NBA? Not so much. One player CAN make a huge difference in a team; remember when Allen Iverson carried his team to the finals? Did you see what happened to the Cavaliers after LeBron left? I can imagine what would happen to the Hornets if Chris Paul moves on.

I think it could turn into a problem. Struggling teams could be out of luck, despite their attempts to appease their star. All of the great players may be snatched up by the top teams, leaving many bad teams. This could hinder the competitiveness of the league. Do we want that? I don't.

This could be even further exasperated by the reduction of the players salaries by the new CBA. Melo clearly "left his options open" because if he didn't sign an extension before the season ended, he could be in for a paycut this summer. With teams able to sign more marquee players, at a lower price, we could see plenty of teams with great players, and plenty of teams with terrible players.

If I may, I present a possible solution to this problem.

The franchise tag.

This allows a struggling team, with an unhappy superstar, to buy time. This can allow them time to bring in some new faces, some players to help the team. Then a strong season could make the player stay.

This also allows teams, wanting to resign a star, to have extra time to work out a contract. The player can be tagged for 1 season, and will get paid handsomely for that season.

Everybody wins in that situation, a player wanting to leave only has to endure one season, and maybe with new pieces and some time, that player could change their mind. The teams win because they have time to retain stars, and struggling teams can stay afloat. The league wins because money can be more evenly spread out across the elite players, rather than players taking a pay cut to be with a certain team. The fans win because each team has equal chances to be good, and more fans can watch more good teams.

If half the league was filled with horrible teams, you could see revenue decline due to fans not showing up for games. Of course, this idea isn't perfect, but it's a start.

--- Leave your comments below ---

Joe
Admin

View user profile http://stickyness.coolbb.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Is the NBA turning into MLB?

Post by Cfatboy83 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I see your point and so do the owners and NBA. They are trying to get the Franchise Tag, A Hard Cap, lower shorter guaranteed contracts and a few other things done in the new labor agreement so this won't happen. If they succeed then small market teams or teams that struggle to sell out will have a shot to at least be competitive and/or not lose their stars for nothing.

Maybe one day MLB will institute a salary cap

Cfatboy83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:44 pm

This is the problem facing the NBA what to do about the small market teams. Well the answer is not franchising a player. The answer is a Hard salary cap. A league that it works for is the NHL how does a small market teams like Pittsburgh, Carolina contend and actually win a championship is with a hard cap.

A hard cap needs to be explained. With a hard cap everything counts with base salaries plus signing bonus and when you waive a player that number counts against your cap. Will it lower salaries for the superstars no. With the average player oh most definitely but it prevents the NBA form becoming the MLB

Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 pm

That's a good point Phoenix, but it would lower salaries for superstars if they are taking paycuts to play for a team with other superstars. Just saying.

Joe
Admin

View user profile http://stickyness.coolbb.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top